Painted fireplaces, mantels, and even brick are becoming more and more popular today because people want to design their fireplaces with a different look.
You can freshen up the look of a fireplace or brick with some simple techniques and just a little bit of effort.
There are some important things that you should know when painting brick. The brick has to be cleaned before you begin your painting project.
The brick must be dry and clean, so wipe down any dust, dirt, and grease with a damp microfiber cloth.
If you are a newbie then this guide is made for you so you can achieve the desired results after project completion.
- 1 How to paint brick fireplace?
- 2 Tools you need to paint brick fireplace
- 3 Clean the fireplace
- 4 Repair the fireplace bricks
- 5 Apply primer to the surface of the brick
- 6 Apply paint to bricks fireplace
- 7 Some tips to achieve the best finish
- 8 What kind of paint do you use on brick fireplace?
- 9 Is painting a brick fireplace a good idea?
- 10 Do I need to prime my brick fireplace before painting?
- 11 What are the best colors to paint a brick fireplace?
- 12 FAQ’s of How to paint brick fireplace
- 13 Conclusion on how to paint brick fireplace
How to paint brick fireplace?
Tools you need to paint brick fireplace
- Primer (preferably tinted)
- Paintbrushes/spray paint/paint sprayer or paint gun
- High nap rollers (rough surfaces)
- Paint (semi-gloss preferred)
- Protective gear
- Paint suit
- Face mask/respirator mask
Clean the fireplace
There are a few different ways that you can clean your fireplace bricks, depending on how dirty they are. If they are only slightly dirty, you can simply wipe them down with a damp cloth.
If they are more heavily soiled, you can scrub them with a bristly brush and some soapy water. For the toughest stains, you may need to use a power washer.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to protect your eyes and lungs from the cleaning fumes by wearing goggles and a mask.
Repair the fireplace bricks
There are many ways to fill mortar between fireplace bricks, but one of the most common and effective methods is to use a putty knife.
First, take some mortar mix and put it into a bucket. Then, using the putty knife, apply the mortar to the bricks, working it into the cracks and crevices.
Be sure to fill the mortar all the way to the top of the bricks. Once the mortar is in place, use a damp cloth to smooth it out and remove any excess.
Apply primer to the surface of the brick
First, make sure the bricks are clean and free of any soot or other debris. Next, choose a primer that is specifically designed for use on bricks.
Then, apply the primer using a brush or roller, making sure to evenly cover the surface of the bricks.
Finally, allow the primer to dry completely before proceeding with painting or any other type of finish.
Apply paint to bricks fireplace
To apply semi-gloss paint on the fireplace bricks’ surface, the process is as follows: first, the bricks need to be cleaned with a wire brush to remove any soot or dirt.
Next, a primer should be applied to help the paint adhere to the bricks. Once the primer is dry, semi-gloss paint can be applied in even strokes. Finally, a topcoat can be applied for extra protection.
Some tips to achieve the best finish
If your fireplace is made of bricks, then you’ll want to take care when painting it. Here are some tips to help you get a great finish:
- Start by giving the bricks a good clean. This will help the paint to adhere better.
- Use a primer specifically designed for bricks. This will help to create a smooth surface for the paint to adhere to.
- Choose a high-quality paint specifically designed for bricks. This will ensure that the paint lasts for years to come.
- Apply the paint in thin, even coats. This will help to avoid any paint drips or streaks.
- Allow the paint to dry completely between each coat. This will ensure a professional-looking finish.
- By following these tips, you’ll be sure to get a great finish on your brick fireplace.
What kind of paint do you use on brick fireplace?
For a brick fireplace, it’s best to use a heat-resistant paint specifically designed for use on masonry surfaces.
These types of paints can withstand high temperatures without cracking or peeling. Some popular options include:
- Latex paint formulated for masonry
- High-heat paint, such as that made by brands like Rust-Oleum and Krylon
- Epoxy paint is very durable and resistant to heat, chemicals, and abrasion Before painting, the brick surface should be cleaned, and if necessary, sealed to ensure that the paint adheres properly. It’s also a good idea to test a small area first to ensure that the paint will look and perform as desired.
Is painting a brick fireplace a good idea?
Painting a brick fireplace can be a good idea, but it’s important to consider a few factors before doing so.
- Painting a brick fireplace can give it a fresh new look, and can be a relatively inexpensive way to update the appearance of a room.
- It can also be a good way to cover up discoloration or damage to the brick.
- Painting a brick fireplace can be a bit more labor-intensive than other types of painting projects. It’s important to properly clean the brick surface and apply the paint in thin, even coats to ensure proper adhesion.
- Depending on the paint used, the brick’s ability to breathe can be hindered, which could cause moisture damage to the fireplace.
- High-heat paint can lose its color over time and discolor due to heat.
Overall, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons and decide if painting your brick fireplace is the right choice for you.
If you decide to paint it, it’s crucial to use the right type of paint and to follow all manufacturer’s instructions for application and maintenance.
Do I need to prime my brick fireplace before painting?
It is generally recommended to prime a brick fireplace before painting to ensure proper adhesion of the paint.
A masonry primer is specifically designed for use on brick, concrete, and other masonry surfaces and will create a smooth surface to the paint to adhere to.
It also helps to seal the brick and prevent moisture from penetrating the surface.
Before priming, the brick should be cleaned with a wire brush and a solution of trisodium phosphate (TSP) to remove any dirt, grime, or soot.
Once the brick is dry, you can apply the primer using a paintbrush or roller. Allow the primer to dry completely before applying the paint.
It is also a good idea to test a small area first to ensure that the primer and paint will look and perform as desired. I
t is also important to ensure that the primer and paint you are using are compatible.
What are the best colors to paint a brick fireplace?
The best colors to paint a brick fireplace depend on personal preference and the overall design style of the room. Some popular colors that can complement a brick fireplace include:
- White: A classic choice that can give the room a bright and airy feel.
- Gray: A neutral color that can add a modern, sophisticated look to the room.
- Black: A bold choice that can make the fireplace a dramatic focal point in the room.
- Beige or taupe: A warm neutral that can blend well with many different design styles.
It’s also possible to paint a brick fireplace with a different color, such as red or blue, depending on the desired look.
It’s important to consider the colors of the furniture and walls in the room to choose a color that will complement and not clash with the existing colors.
It’s also a good idea to test a small area first with the color you have chosen to ensure that it will look and perform as desired, and also see how it will look with the lighting of the room.
FAQ’s of How to paint brick fireplace
Conclusion on how to paint brick fireplace
In this article, I have tried to give a complete guide on how to paint bricks. I have tried to cover as much as possible and I have also given a few pointers on how to make your job easy.
And all this is compiled from my own experience and what I have learned from my fellow painters. I wish you all a happy painting and thank you for reading my article.
If you still have any confusion in your mind then let me know in the comments section and I will try my best to clear it out.
Matthew Edward is a professional painter who loves to paint and wants to share useful tips and tricks which he had learned in many years of experience in painting. He also used many products that can be used for painting he has tried and tested each and every product to give an unbias opinion about it in his review. This blog is very useful for those newbies who want to learn painting without making mistakes.