Pine cones are nature’s little gems, and they can create some gorgeous fall/winter decor for your home.
You can make pine cone crafts and everything from pine cone centerpieces to pine cone bird feeders.
In this blog, I will teach you guys the complete method to spray paint a pine cone at home, do the DIY paint job, and achieve satisfactory results.
Don’t miss any point or step explained in this guide if you are an amateur and don’t know the complete procedure because you can mess up the surface.
This guide is best for newbies and beginners because the steps are easy to follow.
- 1 How to spray paint a pine cone?
- 2 Wear protective gear
- 3 Clean the pine cones
- 4 Sand the surface
- 5 Apply primer and spray paint on pine cones
- 6 Apply clear coat
- 7 Clean up the area
- 8 What is the easiest way to paint pine cones?
- 9 How do you Colour pine cones?
- 10 How do you paint pine cones in acrylic?
- 11 FAQ’s of How to spray paint a pine cone
- 12 Conclusion on how to spray paint a pine cone
How to spray paint a pine cone?
Now I will explain all the steps here so you guys can follow those and the procedure I will explain is very easy to follow, especially for beginners, as I have mentioned earlier.
Gather these tools below and start spray painting pine cones and get the desired results.
- Spray paint
- Pine cones
- Drop cloths
- Old cardboard for testing spray paint
- Respirator mask
- Paint suit (if you can afford it)
- Clear coat
- Vacuum cleaner for cleaning
- Soapy water
- Brush for cleaning
Wear protective gear
When you are ready to spray paint your pine cones, it is important to first put on some protective gear.
This includes gloves, a mask, goggles, and old clothes that you don’t mind getting paint on.
Once you have your gear on, set up your work area. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area and lay down a drop cloth or newspaper to catch any stray paint.
Clean the pine cones
It’s important to clean the pine cones before spray painting them, otherwise, the paint won’t adhere properly.
To clean them, simply mix some soapy water in a bowl and give them a good scrub with a brush. Rinse them off afterward and let them dry completely before starting to spray paint.
Sand the surface
Spray painting pine cones is a great way to add a pop of color to your home décor. But before you start spraying, you’ll need to lightly sand the surface of the pine cone.
This will help the paint adhere to the cone and create a smooth, even finish.
To sand, the pine cone, start by holding it in one hand. Use the other hand to rub a piece of sandpaper over the surface of the cone.
Start with coarse grit sandpaper and then switch to a finer grit for a smoother finish.
Once you’re finished sanding, wipe away any dust with a clean cloth. Then you’re ready to start spray painting!
Apply primer and spray paint on pine cones
Once you have your materials, set up a work area. Make sure the area is well-ventilated and that the surface you are working on is protected.
To apply the primer, hold the can about 6 inches from the pine cone and spray evenly. Allow the primer to dry for about 15 minutes before applying the spray paint.
When applying the spray paint, again hold the can about 6 inches from the pine cone and spray evenly. Allow the paint to dry completely before handling the pine cone.
Apply clear coat
It’s important to apply a clear coat after spray painting pine cones. This will protect the paint from chipping and prevent the cones from rusting.
To apply a clear coat, first, make sure the cones are completely dry. Then, holding the can about 6 inches away from the cones, spray a light, even layer of clear coat over the entire surface.
Allow the clear coat to dry for 24 hours before handling the cones.
Clean up the area
After spray painting pine cones, it is important to clean up the area around the cones to ensure that no paint is left behind. Here are some tips on how to clean up the area around your pine cones:
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down the area around the pine cones. This will help to remove any leftover paint.
- Use a vacuum to clean up any loose paint chips.
- Once the area is clean, you can then dispose of the pine cones in the appropriate manner.
What is the easiest way to paint pine cones?
One easy way to paint pine cones is to use acrylic paint and a paintbrush. First, make sure the pine cones are clean and dry.
Then, apply a base coat of paint and let it dry. Once the base coat is dry, you can add additional layers of paint or use a different color to create the desired effect.
You can also use a sealant to protect the paint and give it a glossy finish.
How do you Colour pine cones?
There are a few different ways to color pine cones, including:
- Using paint: You can use acrylic paint and a paintbrush to apply a base coat of color to the pine cones. Once the base coat is dry, you can add additional layers of paint or use a different color to create the desired effect.
- Using dyes: You can also use liquid or powder dyes to color pine cones. To use liquid dyes, you can mix the dye with water and then brush the mixture onto the pine cones. For powder dyes, you can mix the dye with water to form a paste and then brush it onto the pine cones.
- Using natural materials: You can also color pine cones using natural materials such as coffee, tea, or spices. To do this, you can soak the pine cones in a strong brew of coffee, tea or use powdered spices and let them dry.
- Using spray paint: You can also color pine cones using spray paint. This is a quick and easy way to color large quantities of pine cones at once. Make sure to protect the surrounding area and keep the cone turning while you spray it.
It’s important to note that the process of coloring pine cones can be messy, so it’s a good idea to do it in a well-ventilated area and wear protective clothing.
How do you paint pine cones in acrylic?
Here is one way to paint pine cones in acrylic:
- Gather materials: You will need acrylic paint, paintbrushes, and pine cones. Make sure the pine cones are clean and dry.
- Apply a base coat: Using a paintbrush, apply a base coat of acrylic paint to the pine cones. You can choose any color you like. Allow the base coat to dry completely.
- Add additional layers: Once the base coat is dry, you can add additional layers of paint to create the desired effect. Use different colors or brush techniques to create different patterns or designs.
- Apply sealant: Once you have achieved the desired look, apply a sealant to protect the paint and give it a glossy finish.
- Clean your brush: Clean your brush with water and soap after use.
It’s important to note that acrylic paint can be used on both natural and artificial pinecones.
Also, you can use a sealant like a varnish, mod podge, or clear acrylic spray to protect the paint and give it a glossy finish.
FAQ’s of How to spray paint a pine cone
Conclusion on how to spray paint a pine cone
In summary, when spraying paint on a pine cone, you want to pay special attention to how you are holding your spray paint can.
If you are spraying paint in the wind, hold the can in an upright position.
If you are spraying paint in the rain, hold the can in a sideways position. And if you are inside your home, with no wind and no rain, you can hold the can in any position you want.
I hope you enjoyed our article about how to spray paint a pine cone.
With this knowledge, I know that you can achieve the desired final look you want after completion of the paint job.
So what are you waiting for? Get started on your next pine cone craft with this article!
Matthew Edward is a professional painter who loves to paint and wants to share useful tips and tricks which he had learned in many years of experience in painting. He also used many products that can be used for painting he has tried and tested each and every product to give an unbias opinion about it in his review. This blog is very useful for those newbies who want to learn painting without making mistakes.